Thursday, February 12, 2009

An Eventful Sunday Morning

This past Sunday morning, I was getting ready for church...just like every Sunday. I had just gotten out of the shower and decided on making some Oatmeal for breakfast. As the oatmeal was cooking, I thought, "let's put some clean dishes away from the dishwasher..." (bad idea).

As I began putting our drinking glasses into the dishes, one "lost it's balance", I suppose and came tumbling down; landing on the pots and pans I had just washed and were peacefully reside on the counter top below. As the crystal goblet hit the saucepan, it shattered into a million pieces (literally). One of the larger of the million pieces decided to seek out my left ring finger for vengeance. I felt nothing and my initial thought was, "PHEW, that was a close call"..then i looked down and my finger was anything but ok! (the rest is kinda graphic)....

As I looked down, blood was pouring out and glass was everywhere on my hand...needless to say, I was freaking out! I was home alone and not sure what to do--i called Cody, basically hyperventilating and asking what to do. I was guessing since I could see ALOT of blood and a ton of the inside stuff in my finger, that I should probably go to the ER. I grabbed the towel off my wet-head of hair and applied pressure, all the while trying to remember that stupid acronym from health class, IRCE, RCIE, what was it??? RICE!! Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.....hahaha, i had no idea what i was supposed to do--i'm running around my house getting dressed with just my elbows and a towel holding my finger together. I run to my car, get in, realize i have no keys or even a back in, grab those things, run out and forget to shut the door, run was exhausting, my poor heart was probably at 220 beats per minute.

I speed to the hospital (of course, I don't get pulled over because you never do when you have an honest and legitimate excuse) and run into the ER. Thankfully, no one was there (by all means, it was 8am). The lady, clearly, sees I'm in distress and rushes to get my info and get a doctor.

I'm admitted and they start their work--about an hour and a half later, I'm stitched up and calmed down. I leave with a sense of confidence...I just did that all alone, just me and God. Cody couldn't come because he was the ONLY pastor there on Sunday and I knew he needed to stay--so it was just me and God. Looking back, it makes me smile knowing that God got me through...I seriously felt him right next to me the entire time....except maybe when the guy was pulling the needle through my finger...haha.

The greatest part about this is God's truly divine goodness to I was sitting in the little ER room waiting, I began to pray...knowing that I couldn't have 'moral' support with me physically. I was so nervous and scared--I needed a friend or something. Enter the doctor (well, student Doctor), his name was Dr. Pate and was a student at the local Med School. He was in his 3rd year and doing rotations..that scenario sounded familiar, so i asked if he know Erin Carter (the wife of our Associate Pastor, she also is a 3rd year at the local med School and doing rotations)--He responded with a resounding yes and we began to talk all about Worship and Church and God----the next thing I knew, I was stitched up, calmed down and walking out....realizing that God showed up to talk with me when I was all my myself. It makes me smile so much just realizing how much He cares for me and how He knew EXACTLY what I needed. Our God is AMAZING and so perfect, I am in awe.

Days later, a number of people said they were thinking about me and Cody this weekend and just started to pray for us, not really knowing why---WOW, absolutely incredible. Thanks my Father for looking out for us every moment of the day.

*This is about 5 days after the fact, so it doesn't look too severe and I finally got to wash it today---but, she's a-healin' nicely, but still quite swollen....praising God for the fact that I don't wear my wedding rings when I do could've been MUCH worse! :)


Cissie said...

OUCHHHHHHHHHH!!! Larae, you poor thing! But wow, you are amazing to do all that and get yourself to the hospital. I would be in trouble, I don't even know where the hospital is here in Cincy. lol. I think i will find out now. So glad you are ok.

Anonymous said...

That looks like it hurt! It is so cool to hear that God did speak to you during your pain. I am sure Cody wanted to be there, but it was good for you to be able to do that by yourself. I would have freaked for sure! Cale and I only have one car so we are pretty much inseperable. I know being in a harsh circumstance would be excruciating without your husband by your side. At the same time, God is the ultimate comforter and He definitely was there!